Sunday, August 5, 2007

Gadgets Working

All electronic gadgets (farkles) installed and tested! What a busy past week.

Gadget list:

  • Garmin Zumo 550 GPS – provides voice route navigation. It also has a built-in MP3 player, and e-Book player. I added the optional XM receiver which provides real-time traffic and weather map updates on the GPS display. The Zumo is Bluetooth-enabled which allows me to take phone calls while my mobile phone is in my tank bag or pocket. (more about this later).
  • Starcom1 Advance intercom system. This little cigarette pack sized unit provides for the integration of my Zumo, helmet headset, and CB radio.
  • Midland 75-822 Portable CB radio


The installation process began with me having to remove the bike side faring, tank top, and seats. I drew a picture of each part on a piece of cardboard and taped each screw that I removed from the bike to the same location on the cardboard. I don’t have a service manual and from experience I didn’t want to have any screws left over :-) I mounted the Starcom1 under the passenger seat and routed all of the wiring up to the steering column. For power I attached a BMW connector (click here for details) which provides switched power. I added a push to talk switch to my handle bar so that I can control the CB. I also added a volume control for the intercom. Both were Starcom parts.
Once I got everything tested and back together three nights later (don’t ask) it was time for a real test. I went for a ride with my riding friends (Art, Don, and Rich) on Saturday. They all have Goldwings with CB radios. Finally, I could hear and speak with them while on the move. During the ride I also made a couple of calls to test the Bluetooth mobile phone interface. Those on the other end of my phone conversaion couldn’t tell that I was riding a motorcycle at the time!

My bike is all set now. I will post a couple of pictures of my setup.

I’ve started packing. We leave on Thursday!!

No comments: